Monday, October 22, 2007

Baby It's Cold Outside

I've fallen into some bad habits in regards to my sleep schedule. For much of the past week I have slept until noon. At least. On Thursday, I woke up at 1:25 PM... five minutes before I had to meet downstairs to go to business german! I just pulled on my clothes, threw my stuff into my bag, grabbed a slice of Tina's pizza from the night before, and ran out the door. Since then I've set my alarm for noon every day, but today I woke up earlier.

First I woke up at 8:30 by accident. I blame it on Tina's boyfriend (henceforth "The Boyfriend"). He was snoring like a freight train. Of course he didn't stop for a while, and by that time I was awake. I put on my headphones and listened to the (entire) soundtrack to LOTR: Return of the King (best. soundtrack. ever.). I finally fell back asleep, then woke up at 10:30. My intent there was to go down to the office before they went on lunch break. Ha, nice try Katie. The posted office hours here seem to be more of a loose guideline rather than times they will be open for sure. They're supposed to be there 9-12 in the morning, and I came at 11. Seriously, what's up with that?

Friday afternoon was pretty fun because Angélique, Raphaëlle, and I went to Lugner City to shop. I got a skirt at H&M to wear with my Halloween costume. We also went grocery shopping at the Penny Markt, which is the cheap grocery store. Not exactly the highest quality, but alright. I got this box of pizza baguettes for under €2, which was good for 3 meals.

Saturday, I worked long and hard on my paper for Export Marketing Management and busted the thing out, only taking a break to come downstairs to go potty (I was upstairs in the study room). It was supposed to be 1000-1200 words, but I did like 1350. He said he wouldn't count, though. That might be the first time since high school that I've written more than what I was told.

As a side note, I'd like to mention that I've been following the baseball playoffs as best I can. Meaning, I check who won the game every morning. I'm pulling for a Red Sox win in the world series (duh). I just wish I could figure out a way to watch the games... even if they start at 2 am my time.

Yesterday I did basically nothing. The thing is, there's nothing to do on Sundays anyway. You can't even go shopping. Plus it's cold outside (far colder than those lying weathermen say), so I don't want to go outside just to walk around. And until this morning I didn't know of a church that I could go to. I talked to my parents for an hour and mentioned to my mom that I didn't know of a church, so she looked one up on the internet. It's a non-denominational service in English, and doesn't start until noon! How great is that? Answer: pretty great.

I finally went to the post office today. I didn't go before because, even though I had bought a bunch of postcards, I hadn't actually written more than like two. I wrote a bunch last night, and they were all dated, so I really couldn't procrastinate much more. I was able to look up the location online, and there's one a few blocks away. The fool that I am, I walked. When I say it's cold, I mean, like, think of the coldest winter days in Austin, and that's what it's like here... in Autumn. Ok, it really wasn't all that cold, but it was windy. But it was close - I'm just a wimp. Anyway, being the stubborn mule that I am, I refused to even try speaking to the guy in German. Whatever, I'm just making it easier for both of us.

The post office is really close to the big shopping street Mariahilferstrasse, where I knew a large bookstore was (I looked it up online!), so I moseyed on down. Yay bookstores!!! I found the English section (quite large), which had a table of classic books for €3,95. I bought Gulliver's Travels and Emma, which are both on my list of books to read. I guess I'll go check to see if the office is open now...

No comments: